Reading Wrap Up (August)

Hello! For the blog post this month I'm going to do some mini-reviews of some of the books I've read since my last wrap-up in April 2026. So far in 2026, I have finished 28 books, 1 graphic novel, 3 poetry collections, and 3 plays. Below are my thoughts on some of what I’ve read since my last post. 

More Than We Can Tell by Brigid Kemmerer

Summary: “Teenagers Emma and Rev Fletcher are struggling. Although sullen and the subject of negative rumors at school, Rev has loving adoptive parents and a loyal best friend to help him cope with his past. But when he receives a letter from his abusive father, the trauma of his childhood comes hurtling back.

Unable to face her parents’ crumbling marriage and tensions with her best friend, Emma Blue chooses to escape into the task of perfecting the computer game she built from scratch. She can solve any problem with the right code, but when an online troll’s harassment escalates, she begins to feel more alone than ever. When Rev and Emma meet, they bond over their shared turmoil. But when their situations turn dangerous, their trust in each other will be tested in ways they never expected.”

I am new to Kemmerer’s work, and found it very nostalgic. First published in 2018, the book beautifully captures the feeling of millenial teenagedom, especially the competing desires for protection/guidance during what is still childhood and some independence/freedom to support the advancing transition to adulthood. Even when Emma and Rev made choices that I as an adult would advise against, the way their thought processes were written made it easy to remember my own teenage mindset and understand why they felt that was the correct decision. The author did a good job writing their voices distinctly, which also helped. 

I liked how Emma and Rev’s backstories and families situations had enough parallels to form a quick bond between them while being unique to each character. There was also a pleasantly surprising gender flip compared to what I’m used to for this genre of books from this era: Emma is the more reckless one with angry outbursts, whereas Rev is quiet and often overly considerate (although he still has the tendency to punch things when he’s upset, as is typical for male heroes of this generation, sigh).

Emma and Rev’s chemistry with each other and their respective family members and friends were believable, and supported the themes of trust and community care well. The way each of them dealt with their problems was the same on a surface level (taking everything on themselves and refusing to ask for help) but their method of applying that was very different, which helped freshen up what could have been a predictable plot. The intensity of Rev’s backstory and the online safety plotline were darker than expected (in a good way—kind of like a CW or ABC Family show but done right). It was really interesting that Rev’s past abuse had a religious element that still affected his mindset years later—I felt the author depicted that element equally as respectfully for people who are believers and who are not. 

This book wasn’t perfect, and I could see how maybe some people may find parts of the plot outdated or over the top. Despite its flaws, it was a bruised but sweet coming-of-age tale, with a believable romance. 

Second Tide’s the Charm by Chandra Blumberg

Summary:At first glance, Hope Evans just landed the perfect spending the summer on a shark research boat. Except as every marine biologist knows, it’s what’s going on beneath the surface that counts, and Hope’s new position comes with a big catch—the boat belongs to her ex-boyfriend, Adrian Hollis-Parker. Since their split, Adrian has risen to internet fame with the launch of his YouTube channel to dispel myths and educate viewers about sharks. Side by side, they’ll now have to navigate the murky waters of past hurts…and hope it’s not too late to chart a new course.”

One thing I found so pleasant about this book is that there was no phase where the exes were trying to get each other’s goats or pull a revenge plot—despite an awkward first reunion and a series of misunderstandings, they still maintained a maturity and respect for each other. Not only did this make me root for their romance, it made it easy to root for them individually as well. They were both passionate about their professions, reliable friends and community members, and good communicators with each other (eventually, anyway). 

A lot of page time was spent on the job, which was much appreciated. Learning cool shark facts was my original intent for picking this up, after all. Hope and Adrian clearly loved their jobs (part of what made them feel so perfect for each other, despite their differences) and those sections displayed that really well. The circumstances of their breakup as well as the proposed obstacles to their reconciliation were realistic, and I’m a fan of how the author resolved things. It’s such a classic conflict to the point that it often feels overdone, but the questions being asked and the solutions discussed were a refreshing take. I didn’t love every plot point regarding the internet drama, and I would have liked more fleshing out of the side characters, but overall, a fun read.   

The God and the Gwisin (Fates Thread #2) by Sophie Kim

Summary: “Since Seokga the No-Longer-Fallen lost his first love Hani and was reinstated as a god, he has vacillated between sorrow and rage. Having lost his mind-reading powers, his search for her reincarnated form has been equally desperate as it is fruitless. In an attempt to improve his mood, his therapist and brother force Seokga to join a cruise down the river of the dead, where the red string of fate leads him to Yoo Kisa. But despite being the reincarnation of his soulmate, Kisa has no memory of him whatsoever—and she is nothing like Hani. When a murder occurs on the ship, Seokga and Kisa join forces to solve the crime before the cruise ends. As the mystery draws them closer, they have to decide what they truly are to each other—and what the boundaries between soulmates, reincarnation, and identity really mean.” 

Okay, so I actually really disliked the first book in this duology. I thought Seokga and Hani were cliché and immature, the humor was annoying, the mystery solving was nonsensical, the plot was predictable (I picked out the killer immediately) and I didn’t buy the romance at all. But one of my reader flaws is that I almost always continue a series even if I hate it, and this time, that actually worked in my favor! 

This sequel was much stronger than its predecessor, both in characterization and in plot. Part of that, in my opinion, is because Kisa was much more interesting and fully-drawn than Hani—compassionate, academic, and curious, she had the type of analytical skills and emotional intelligence that lended themselves well to the crime solving plotline. Her dynamic with Seokga was also fascinating in a way his and Hani’s wasn’t—instead of a run-of-the-mill “I hate him but he’s hot tho” dynamic we saw in book one, the tension between Kisa and Seokga was built on the question of what it means to be soulmates with a god. Seokga retained all his memories of Kisa’s previous life as Hani, and thus was ready to commit to Kisa immediately to soothe his own broken heart; Kisa did not know Seokga at all and chafed at the idea that their soulmateship came with what she viewed as a third party, and because she and Hani were complete opposites, she did not believe he could ever truly love her for who she was. The question of what they could mean to each other in this context is an interesting one, and I found them more well-matched and more compelling. 

As far as the murder goes, the author improved a lot. I think it helped that we were on a cruise ship in the Underworld the whole time and thus had a limited area to search for clues. The chain of events as we solve the mystery is much more detailed, red herrings are better applied, the ultimate villain’s motivations are more specific. 

There were some flawsThe sex scene seemed easy to skip at first, until I realized that it took over two chapters instead of just one—major jump scare. I found quite a few errors/typos, the pacing did grind to a halt at several points, and I was frustrated by Seokga’s refusal to investigate two pieces of evidence at all (he was a bad detective in book one, so that might be on me for expecting more). The wink-wink-nudge-nudge way the red string of fate was written annoyed me, but that could just be personal preference. While the plot in this one was better, I found the intro about Kisa’s job in the magical medical school/hospital so interesting that I wish that had been the plot instead. Also, I hated the flashback sequence near the end, and the epilogue felt like it was ripped from a totally different book.

Inventing Latinos by Laura E. Gómez

Summary: "In this “timely and important examination of Latinx identity” (Ms.), Laura E. Gómez, a leading critical race scholar, argues that it is only recently that Mexican Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Central Americans, and others are seeing themselves (and being seen by others) under the banner of a cohesive racial identity. And the catalyst for this emergent identity, she argues, has been the ferocity of anti-Latino racism. In what Booklist calls “an incisive study of history, complex interrogation of racial construction, and sophisticated legal argument,” Gómez “packs a knockout punch” (Publishers Weekly), illuminating for readers the fascinating race-making, unmaking, and re-making processes that Latinos have undergone over time, indelibly changing the way race functions in this country."

I learned a lot from this book, and I think every American person should read it--there were many moments that made it apparent there had been purposeful gaps in my history education, and I think with the current administration, those gaps will only widen. While the subject matter is presented like a textbook and therefore meant to be read slowly and with full attention, the book comes in at under 200 pages, so even a slower, more focused read won't take long. The ending of this edition was a tad bit depressing in that it theorizes that whoever wins the 2020 presidential election will determine the path forward for anti-Latino racism--as we know, Biden's win did not prevent racist policies from continuing during his presidency, and Trump losing that race did not prevent his theft of the subsequent election in 2025. 

The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea by Axie Oh

Summary: "Deadly storms have ravaged Mina’s homeland for generations. Floods sweep away entire villages, while bloody wars are waged over the few remaining resources. Her people believe the Sea God, once their protector, now curses them with death and despair. In an attempt to appease him, each year a beautiful maiden is thrown into the sea to serve as the Sea God’s bride, in the hopes that one day the “true bride” will be chosen and end the suffering. Many believe that Shim Cheong, the most beautiful girl in the village—and the beloved of Mina’s older brother Joon—may be the legendary true bride. But on the night Cheong is to be sacrificed, Joon follows Cheong out to sea, even knowing that to interfere is a death sentence. To save her brother, Mina throws herself into the water in Cheong’s stead. Swept away to the Spirit Realm, a magical city of lesser gods and mythical beasts, Mina seeks out the Sea God, only to find him caught in an enchanted sleep. With the help of a mysterious young man named Shin—as well as a motley crew of demons, gods and spirits—Mina sets out to wake the Sea God and bring an end to the killer storms once and for all."

This retelling was enthralling, full of atmospheric descriptions and extensive world building. I've seen it compared to Miyazaki movies (especially Spirited Away), the animated Avatar the Last Airbender, and classic fantasy anime like Inuyasha, and I agree that it has the same magical, nostalgic, imaginative quality. Although written somewhat simply and straightforwardly, the world and the characters within it draw you in and refuse to let go. The pacing moves quickly, introducing new characters and settings that fill the world with color, and the themes are delivered consistently. I devoured it in two days. 

Mina is a bold, self-sacrificial, outspoken, and brave main character. I loved her straightforwardness and determination. The familial relationships and friendships she strove so hard to protect during the series felt real and honest, especially her relationship with her grandmother and with the helpful trio she meets in the Spirit World (Mask, Dai, and Miki). The section where Dai explains why he takes care of Miki made me tear up. Mina's friendships with other women and the way women are depicted in this novel overall were refreshingly supportive and rooted in feminist ideals. I was slightly less impressed by Shin and found the romance a little predictable--especially because so much of Shin's fascinating dynamic with the Sea God went a bit unexplored--but overall, I bought it. There were several elements I want an expanded story about--Hyeri and the God of Death, what happened to the first girl, and the delicious drama between Kirin and Namgi (are they in love? I think they're in love). I will definitely be reading more from Axie Oh. 

Comments

Popular Posts